Booting Linux with No Video card

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 16:04:26 UTC 2018

I have no experience booting from USB flash drives or booting Debian
Live with or without accessibility, so I'm not sure how much help I
can be, but a few questions that come to mind:

Is the flash drive you're trying to boot from supposed to contain some
flavor of Debian Live or some flavor of the Debian Installer? In
either case, could you point us to the iso you used to flash the usb
stick? Or the method used to flash the stick? Any of this information
could be helpful in narrowing down possible issues with the stick
itself.

If the usb stick contains a copy of the Debian Installer, does a beep
sound from your machine at any point after trying to boot? If so, that
beep should indicate that you are at the installer's boot menu, and I
believe pressing s and enter should initiate the talking version of
the Installer. No idea if braille is enabled at the same time provided
compatible hardware is detected for Braille.

No idea if this beep plays on Debian Live, and no idea what to tell
you if your machine lacks sound hardware as well, and personally, I'm
not all that fond of how Debian handles starting the talking Installer
since it means doing a blind install requires external documentation
even when the install media boots properly. If you have sound
hardware, but still don't hear the beep after many minutes, I'm not
sure how to tell if the problem is with the stick itself, due to
issues with your biso's boot settings, or hardware issues.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
Bachelor of Computer Science
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.