Newbie to linux and a question

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Dec 15 12:33:43 UTC 2018

Don't forget source distros like Gentoo or LFS. You can install your own package managers on those (and gentoo has one called portage), but your primary means of building packages is from source code.
And even if you're not interested in doing that, installing from source has become vastly simplified over the years; your average user need only run:
./configure
make
sudo make install
and this will install a program suitable for 99 percent of users' needs.
I won't touch on building things like apache, mysql and other database managers, or the linux kernel itself I wouldn't recommend a newby tackle those, anyway. But the above commands are good enough for just about any userland package.