Newbie to linux and a question

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Dec 15 22:27:10 UTC 2018

Hello again Chime,

I forgot to add: there is also RHVoice: https://github.com/Olga-Yakovleva/RHVoice/

I just packaged it for Slint, it is easy to integrate with speech-dispatcher (the module is already there), it has good (to my ears) voices for English, Russian, Ukrainian, and also Esperanto, Tatar, Kyrgyz, Russian and Georgian.

Caveat: build against master and also speech-dispatcher master. In addition, to get the voice list in spd-say and orca you will need to apply this patch:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/next/source/RHvoice/in_list_voices_separator_is_always_tab.diff

and also:
Add a dummy config file in /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules:
echo "# dummy config file for RHVoice"" > /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/rhvoice.conf
Add a line for it in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf:
#AddModule "rhvoice"     "sd_rhvoice"   "rhvoice.conf"

Sorry for the OT,

Best,

Didier
--