Slint, Mate, a couple of issues

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Dec 27 14:10:00 UTC 2018

Hello Sergei,

On 27/12/2018 12:49, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:> Hello, list.
> I just install Slint on my laptop for everyday use but have a couple of
> issues in Mate.
> First issue is the top panel acess. Whin I just installed Slint, it
> worked just fine. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Tab to go to the top panel.
> But after upgrading my system to the latest packages and changing my
> locale to Russian this combination stops working. Of course I know that
> I just can get rid of the bottom pane and the top pane will become
> accessible, but I wonder, if there is a more elegant solution for this?
I need to know which window manager is in use.

This command will tell us that:
gsettings get org.mate.session.required-components windowmanager

The output should be either "marco" or 'compiz'

You can switch to the other one typing either:
gsettings set org.mate.session.required-components windowmanager 'marco'
or
gsettings set org.mate.session.required-components windowmanager 'compiz'

compiz can be tweaked, but it's not so easy so I suggest you use marco
for now.

When using marco, following key bindings work:
<Control><Alt>Tab switch between top panel and desktop
<Shift><Control><Alt>Tab switch between top panel and desktop

You need to release all keys to switch.

This is not ideal and in next Slint major update, it will be simpler
as in both compiz and marco you will have by default:

Cycle between windows <Alt>Tab
Cycle backward between windows <Shift><Alt>Tab
Cycle between panels and the desktop <Control><Alt><Tab>
Cycle backwards between panels and the desktop <Shift><Control><Alt><Tab>

This update should be available within a week or so, I will post
here and in the Orca and Slint mailing lists when it will be ready

Meanwhile you can already upgrade to the upcoming marco package
typing these commands:
wget http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/next/packages/marco-1.18.3-x86_64-1slint.txz
md5sum marco-1.18.3-x86_64-1slint.txz
You should get:
229b1e2a810fd07f18fa2148274d1ac5  marco-1.18.3-x86_64-1slint.txz
Then become root with su and type:
upgradepkg marco-1.18.3-x86_64-1slint.txz

Just be aware that at next "slapt-get --upgrade you will be proposed
to go back to the previous version as this one is not yet officially
released.

> Another issue is that Braille panning does not seems to work in
> graphical mode on both my machines. I am using Focus 40 blue (4th gen)
> Braille display. In console with Brltty everything works well, but in
> Mate I can see the line focus is on, but if the text does not fit the
> display, I am not able to pan through it. This problem persists through
> all the apps I use. I remember that in the past I did not have this
> issue.

I am sorry, I can't help you there as I don't know Braille at all
and thus have never used a Braille device.

Else maybe the next upgrade will help, but that's just wishful thinking.
Anyway brltty will be upgraded to version 5.6.

I hope someone else can help you.

Happy holidays and new year everybody.

Best,

Didier