DBus: Upgrade or Not

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Dec 30 22:26:36 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 13:21:04 -0600
Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:

> Ubuntu-mate 18.04 is the environment
> I was wanting to install the Fenrir screen reader:
> sudo pip3 install fenrir-screenreader
> Pip then whined about DBus package requirement not being met.
>   configure: error: Package requirements (dbus-1 >= 1.8) were not met:
> dpkg -l | grep dbus
> reports dbus is 1.12.2

dbus 1.12.x is more recent - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Bus . However,
your system may be missing some *-dev packages. Try installing this -
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/libdbus-1-dev . Good luck!

You are right that you should not replace dbus...

> Now, dbus is a means by which daemons communicate with each other. I don't
> think I can just grab the latest dbus package, build it and install it over
> the current one. That seems like a great way to break your system. What are
> my choices here?

Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

*Chuck*: Indeed. Anyway, I invited a friend who is even crazier than I am.
*Kermit*: Really, who is this crazy guy?
*Chuck*: Actually, it’s a crazy girl.
    — http://is.gd/htmOCv