How do you edit markup? e.g. html?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 19:35:20 UTC 2018

Tim here.  I too am a dyed-in-the-wool vi/vim user and use it to edit
my markup files.  I work predominantly in pure HTML but also use
vi/vim for XML/DocBook, Markdown, LaTeX, or other markup if it comes
to that.

If you don't already use them, Vim does offer some handy text-objects
to make it easier to work with HTML/XML.  The "it", "at", "i<", and
"a<" that makes quick work of working with tags.  If you don't use
text-objects, they're one of Vim's killer features.  Even more-so
when it comes to HTML/XML markup.

If I'm typing a particular construct frequently, I'll create an
abbreviation to simplify because I'm lazy.

Also, Tim Pope's Vim Surround (https://github.com/tpope/vim-surround)
plugin helps make it easy to wrap text in tags or other characters.

I'm also partial to the "tidy" program (`apt-get install tidy` on my
Debian box) which does some tidying, correction, and checking of
source HTML & XML.  It's good for catching the little things that I
miss.

I employ a fairly broad spectrum of browsers to preview my code.  I
like lynx and its CLI kin for their sheer speed; I like Firefox or
Chromium to preview what most of the world would encounter.

Additionally, as a process thing, for inline tags, I like to put them
on their own line.  It's my personal oddity, but I find that it
simplifies reading back the HTML source.

Here's hoping there are tips in there that improve your workflow,

-tim