Ubuntu 16.04

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 16:53:37 UTC 2018

Hey all,

 I bought an HP Envy laptop about a month ago and installed Ubuntu 16.04. Once I began using it I ran into some issues. The first is the unresponsiveness of Orca. When I am trying to select text to copy or cut it to the clip board Orca does not speak. Also when I am entering commands at the console Orca loses focus of the prompt and it will not allow me to type. I have to switch back and forth from the Desktop and the terminal window several times to get Orca to gain focus of the prompt.

Has anyone else had these issues with Ubuntu and Orca? I have no choice on using Ubuntu 16.04 but if there is a way to install other tools to make the Ubuntu experience better I would be open to some suggestions. Thanks
Bryan Duarte | software engineer

ASU Computer Science Ph.D Student
IGERT Fellow
Alliance for Person-centered Accessible Technology (APAcT)
Center for Cognitive Ubiquitous Computing (CUbiC Lab)
National Federation of the Blind of Arizona | Affiliate Board Member
National Association of Blind Students | Board Member
Arizona Association of Blind Students | President
Phone: 480-652-3045