Screen reader advice for a Linux sysadmin

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Feb 28 16:21:47 UTC 2018

Hi,

Jumping in here to try and clarify one point ...

Linux for blind general discussion writes:

> Do you use also a brailledisplay on the Mac and in the terminal?
> Answer:
> I do in deed us a Braille display on my Mac with no problem. I have a Focus 40 Blue and it works great. I will admit that I do not know Computer Braille yet but I would very much like to learn it so I can use Braille when developing software. It is on my to learn list for sure...

Would you find your Mac Terminal as useful without the braille? I
suspect not vis a vis Speakup on Linux.

> My questions:
> 1. I am running Ubuntu 16.04 on my HP laptop but with little success in the terminal due to things not being spoken. I am running Orca as the screen reader. Can you provide some tips or how toos for making my terminal access and over all Linux experience more accessible?

No surprise here. Speakup is what you want for console access.

> 2. You said "After using a Mac for a few weeks at work I was very disappointed.
> Especialy the VoiceOver support in the terminal is not more then
> rudimentary compared to the things you can do with a screenreader on a
> linux system."

This is my experience precisely with my Mac Airbook.

In fact, while traveling with only the Airbook, I would ssh from a
VMware Linux session into my Mac to do Mac terminal tasks, because of
the superior screen reader support.

As noted above, braille would viciate my statement. I'm speaking of TTS
only interfacing.

hth

Janina

--