Linux distro and questions

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Jan 6 01:45:18 UTC 2018

fenrir is the name of that screen reader and when run it has to be run
as root with pulseaudio running as --system.  I have had no luck getting
fenrir running at all. Anywhere in orca cut and paste is difficult which
makes setting up google drive and dropbox just about impossible along
with youtube-viewer when you want to login to your youtube account since
a code on a web page has to be cut then pasted back into the
application.  These cut and paste operations can't be done with speakup
since speakup can't run with firefox or chrome or chromium.  In terminal
mode in orca, the edit menu is all that's likely to offer any cut and
paste capability and it's limited to select all then cut then later
paste.  I suppose one might paste to a new file then edit that file
removing any extraneous output and then maybe cutting from that file and
maybe pasting where you want that output to go.  A package called xclip
and another called gpaste exist but I've not heard of people using
either for this work with orca yet.
The speakup cut and paste facilities are really effective on the console
level.  I'm wondering if you have both speakup and orca running on the
same system with speakup turned off while running orca could you go into
terminal in orca, shut orca off with insert-q then start speakup and
have speakup talk you through what's going on in the terminal?  I think
even if this were done and you could do a good cut operation with
speakup probably once speakup were turned off and terminal were exited
and orca was turned back on a paste operation couldn't be done with the
cut material from speakup since speakup and whatever graphical user
environment being run both use different clipboard memory real estate.
If both use the same memory space more would be possible.