Linux distro and questions

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Jan 6 23:15:52 UTC 2018

With archlinux, you start speakup up with a systemctl command and once
done it runs.  When you reboot speakup will also come up.
The archlinux distribution runs under command line very well and can
also acquire graphical user environments depending on installer's
choices.  It starts out in command line though.
The f123 distro starts out in graphical user environment and it is based
on archlinux but we don't have to concern ourselves with f123 unless a
much more recent iso has become available.  What I downloaded cannot
import three gpg keys and as a result cannot install any updated or new
packages.  One of the keys belonged to a trusted user who is no longer
part of archlinux and revoked his key.  I remember that when he resigned
from the trusted user community and that could also be the case with the
other keys.

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:

> [...]
>> screen into your Linux terminals.
>>
>> 4.)	Use x-clip to copy between Speakup's clipboard and the graphical
>> desktop clipboard that Orca supports.
>>
>> https://security.archlinux.org/package/xclip
>>

>> A couple additional comments:
>>
>> This isn't an either or situation, ti's a both and situation. You can
>> have Orca and Speakup working happily side by side on the same computer.
>> To achieve this you need to learn how to change from one tty to another,
>> specificaly by using the function keys at the top of your keyboard
>> together with Alt and Control, Example: Alt+Ctrl+F1 will probably bring
>> up your graphical desktop where Orca is. With Speakup loaded and
>> functioning, Alt+Ctrl+F2 through Alt+Ctrl+F6 will bring up text consoles
>> where you'll be relying on Speakup and screen.
>>
>> Note that it's possible to avoid multiple logins. This is an advanced
>> topic using the openvt command. My ttys are loaded by  in a script that I launch
>> following my first login.
>>
>> Note also that you're not limited in how many ttys you can open. This is
>> another advanced topic. Suffice it to say I have 24. This requires a
>> slight tweak to the keyboard map to preserve the old distinction between
>> the left Alt key and the right Alt key. Years ago this was the standard
>> keyboard map, but the graphical desktop made people stupid about the
>> value of the distinction, so you need to take care of this yourself, if
>> you want more than 12 ttys.
>>
>> hth
>>
>> Janina
>>

>> Linux for blind general discussion writes:
>>> Thank you all for this information.
>>>
>>> I was able to get Orca to copy text from the terminal but it worked some times and did not work other times. I was also unable to review the entire contents of the terminal output using Orca. I have a feeling this might be due to my limited knowledge of Orca and all the review commands.
>>>
>>> How do you all interace with output from the terminal window? I know if you are using Linux you must primarily work in the command line, right?
>>>
>>> Is the new distro of Linux pretty stable? What is it? Sling or something? I really like Debian distros and would most likely go with that unless there is another distro which is better equipt for accessibility. I am using Linux for pen testing and network security so I want to make sure I have access to all the tools I will need as well as any and all console output. If speak up works well in the terminal I might just look into that since I will work primarily in the command line any ways.
>>> Bryan Duarte | software engineer
>>>
>>> ASU Computer Science Ph.D Student
>>> IGERT Fellow
>>> Alliance for Person-centered Accessible Technology (APAcT)
>>> Center for Cognitive Ubiquitous Computing (CUbiC Lab)
>>> National Federation of the Blind of Arizona | Affiliate Board Member
>>> National Association of Blind Students | Board Member
>>> Arizona Association of Blind Students | President

 ither fo