slint desktop errors

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Jan 12 23:09:29 UTC 2018

Hello Jude,

I will try to answer, quoting only one line when there are several similar ones.

Le 12/01/2018 à 11:20, Linux for blind general discussion a écrit :
> It turns out I've got errors as a result of mate and gdm running.  I combined .xsession-errors.old and .xsession-errors into a single file shown below.  It will be interesting to find which of these errors are real problems and which I don't need to bother correcting:

> ** Message: couldn't access control socket: /dev/shm/jude/keyring/control: No such file or directory

This is a message abuut gnome-keyring.
gnome-keyring is a program that keep password and other secrets for
users. It is run as a daemon in the session, similar to ssh-agent, and
other applications locate it via an environment variable or a D-Bus.

This file is created only when the gnome-keyring daemon is started.
If you neither use an application that starts the daemon nor
start it manually it's not there, nothing to worry about.

> mate-session[1294]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'

This warning is displayed because in the gsettins/dconf database for Mate, by default a dock is supposed to be required, as says this command:
didier[/usr/doc/gnome-keyring-3.16.0]$ gsettings get org.mate.session required-components-list
['windowmanager', 'panel', 'filemanager', 'dock']

But actually a dock is not necessary and we provide none.

You could remove this requirement with gsettings command or useing dconf-editor, but the waening is harmless.

> (mate-volume-control-applet:1448): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_remove: assertion '_gtk_widget_get_parent (widget) == GTK_WIDGET (container) || GTK_IS_ASSISTANT (container) || GTK_IS_ACTION_BAR (container) || GTK_IS_POPOVER_MENU (container)' failed
You can safely ignore this kind of warning from Gtk. Anyway the mate-volume-control-applet works OK.

> GTK Accessibility Module initialized
This means that GTK window is speaking thanks at-spi and orca. Which is good!

 > system-config-printer-applet: failed to start NewPrinterNotification servi> system-config-printer-applet: failed to start PrinterDriversInstaller service: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Connection ":1.57" is not allowed to own the service "com.redhat.PrinterDriversInstaller" due to security policies in the configuration file
The README about  system-config-printer-applet says
system-config-printer-applet is a print job manager for CUPS. Normally it will display a printer icon in the notification area, greyed out when there are no print jobs for the
current user. Clicking on the icon displays a simple print job manager for cancelling or reprinting jobs.

I get the same error here, actually it seems that in some cases the applet only show in the panel if there is a running printing job.
Anyway this thing is not a "must have" as ther are other ways to setup a printer and manage printing jobs.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
<lines removed>
> dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files

I have seen that, but not now and there is a Bluman applet on the top Mate panel

Maybe check that bluetooth is enabled? On my laptop the same physcal switch is used for wifi and bleutooth.

> (mate-panel:1401): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' fail> (mate-panel:1401): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_device_grab_add: assertion 'GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed
> (marco:1388): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_composite: assertion 'dest_y >= 0 && dest_y + dest_height <= dest->height' failed
> mate-session[1294]: Gdk-WARNING: mate-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
> Window manager warning: Log level 16: marco: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.> ** (mate-settings-daemon:1369): WARNING **: failed to send session response: Connection was disconnected before a reply was received
> (mate-settings-daemon:1369): Gdk-WARNING **: mate-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
> (caja:1431): Gdk-WARNING **: caja: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
> (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1470): Gdk-WARNING **: polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
> (orca:1461): Gdk-WARNING **: orca: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
> applet.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
> ** (mate-terminal:1640): WARNING **: Could not open X display
> process 1640: arguments to dbus_connection_get_data() were incorrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 6079.
> This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
>   D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
I wouldn't worry about all the lines above this one.

> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- mate-session
Just informations

> ** Message: couldn't access control socket: /dev/shm/jude/keyring/control: No such file or directory
> mate-session[1402]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'
We have seen that already, nothing to worry about

> SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/dev/shm/jude/keyring/ssh
> GPG_AGENT_INFO=/dev/shm/jude/keyring/gpg:0:1
> SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/dev/shm/jude/keyring/ssh
> GPG_AGENT_INFO=/dev/shm/jude/keyring/gpg:0:1
The four lines above seem to indicate that now the gnome-keyring daemon has been started.

> ** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1583): WARNING **: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: User of caller and user of subject differs.
> Cannot register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: User of caller and user of subject differs.As long as you can perform as regular user actions like reboot or halt the machine there shoul be no real issue, as polkit is mostly used to allow regular users to perform actions otherwise only allowed to root using a GUI.

> Initializing caja-open-terminal extension
> Initializing caja-xattr-tags extension
> Initializing caja-image-converter extension
Only information.

I won't comment the following lines in your quoted messages as we had them alreday in the previous session.

Best regards,

Didier