How to start gnome-orca along with windows manager

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Jan 18 17:43:53 UTC 2018

Hi Edhoari,

Le 18/01/2018 à 08:16, Linux for blind general discussion a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Here's the result
>
> ls -l /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Jan 17 16:27 /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service -> /lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service
>
> I'm using MATE desktop

I know nothing about Debian.
In Slint, to get the lightdm greeter to speak we include these two lines in  /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf:
reader = orca
a11y-states = +reader

This can also be set from MATE running as root lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings if you have it.

We also include in /etc/lightdm.conf; below this line
[Seat:*]
this other line:
session-setup-script=pkill -u lightdm at-spi

This is to allow starting orca in MATE as else the "lightdm" user still owns at-spi after login.
Not sure it's necessary in Debian though.

As an aside, I will soon publish a new Slint ISO with speech enhancements.
Existing installations will be able to get the updated packages without reinstalling.

Didier
Slint distribution: http://slint.fr
<didier~at~slint~dot~fr>