Ubuntu with Orca

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jan 24 20:45:37 UTC 2018

As of right now I have to use Ubuntu 16.04 for one of the classes I am taking. There is probably no real issue in using another version but he specifically wants us to use Ubuntu 16.04 so that is what I installed. Maybe later I will switch to Mate or something else but for now I am using Ubuntu.

Is it not necessary to run the text based gnome desktop when using Orca on Ubuntu? I know it is not required but I have read a lot of people talking about how much better Orca is with the text based gnome. How do I know what desktop version I am running?
Bryan Duarte | software engineer

ASU Computer Science Ph.D Student
IGERT Fellow
Alliance for Person-centered Accessible Technology (APAcT)
Center for Cognitive Ubiquitous Computing (CUbiC Lab)
National Federation of the Blind of Arizona | Affiliate Board Member
National Association of Blind Students | Board Member
Arizona Association of Blind Students | President
Phone: 480-652-3045