Ubuntu with Orca

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Jan 25 02:09:43 UTC 2018

"Le 24/01/2018 à 07:17, Linux for blind general discussion a écrit :
Sorry hijack but did you installed debian 9 mate (new install), does
wireless work properly ?

Yes, it works. The link provided by Edhoari is the Debian installer
with proprietaries firmware.

FYI, Debian ships only free software by default, it's because the
manufacturer of your WiFi card only provides a proprietary driver for
your WIFI card."

2 computers, tried twice on one, three times on another, the drivers
of the unofficial debian mate iso work, it see networks but don't
connect.

<blinux-list at redhat.com>:
> I'm not sure what you mean by the text based Gnome desktop. I think
> Unity, Mate and Gnome are all accessible on Ubuntu 16.04. I run the
> Gnome desktop myself, which is a GUI desktop.
>

> On 01/24/2018 02:45 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>> As of right now I have to use Ubuntu 16.04 for one of the classes I am
>> taking. There is probably no real issue in using another version but he
>> specifically wants us to use Ubuntu 16.04 so that is what I installed.
>> Maybe later I will switch to Mate or something else but for now I am using
>> Ubuntu.
>>
>> Is it not necessary to run the text based gnome desktop when using Orca on
>> Ubuntu? I know it is not required but I have read a lot of people talking
>> about how much better Orca is with the text based gnome. How do I know
>> what desktop version I am running?
>> Bryan Duarte | software engineer
>>
>> ASU Computer Science Ph.D Student
>> IGERT Fellow
>> Alliance for Person-centered Accessible Technology (APAcT)
>> Center for Cognitive Ubiquitous Computing (CUbiC Lab)
>> National Federation of the Blind of Arizona | Affiliate Board Member
>> National Association of Blind Students | Board Member
>> Arizona Association of Blind Students | President
>> Phone: 480-652-3045
>>
>>> On Jan 24, 2018, at 1:19 AM, Linux for blind general discussion
>>> <blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, it works. The link provided by Edhoari is the Debian installer with
>>> proprietaries firmware.
>>>
>>> FYI, Debian ships only free software by default, it's because the
>>> manufacturer of your WiFi card only provides a proprietary driver for
>>> your WIFI card.
>>>
>>> Best regards.
>>> --
>>> Alex ARNAUD