[orca-list] EFI3M more friendly for the blind and visually impaired

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Jul 14 11:58:32 UTC 2018

Hello, Janina.

It all depends on what systems you have installed on the Airbook.

If it is only OS X, EFI3M is of course useless.

Also the only thing EFI3M can do when run under OS X is probably display
its menu and its features. I tried to make EFI3M portable as much as
possible, however the script does use lsblk, which I think is a
Linux-specific utility.

If you do have a Linux distribution installed on the Apple Airbook I
think that you can run EFI3M on this Linux and safely use all the
features but one, which is writing a boot entry in the firmware's menu.
I elaborate on that below.

When using the second choice in the main menu:
2 Install the multiboot menu on your computer
EFI3M will first install the boot loader in <some EFI partition> as
/EFI/EFI3M/BOOTx64.EFI. This will not interfere with any exiting file so
it is safe.
If possible EFI3M  then proposes to also install the boot loader in a
default BOOT directory, which would be in <some EFI partition> as
/EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.EFI. This is also safe as EFI3M won't override an
exiting file, unless it wrote it in a previous run, which it checks.

BUT after that when asked:
Do you want to add an entry for the boot menu in the firmware? [y/N],
answer N (this is the default).

I don't know if this is the case for your specific machine (the
firmware widely varies across Mac models) but there have been reports in
the past that using the efibootmgr utility to write a boot entry in the
firmware (which EFI3M does in this case) can brick the Mac, so "better
safe than sorry".

You can also write an USB stick, if your machine has an USB port.

You could need to make some setting in the boot manager of the firmware
to start the boot loader written by EFI3M in an internal EFI partition
and|or on an USB stick. I can't say more as I don't have a Mac. For this
very reason, I would be glad of a feed back of your experience, be it
good or bad.

Didier