Installing Ubuntu on an AMD HP Laptop

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Jul 22 17:02:37 UTC 2018

Hello Harmony and all, Didier again.

My previous answer was not enough relevant, as I didn't understand
well enough your context, especially that you were using the
Gnome desktop not the console mode.

Since then I have reinstalled Ubuntu 18.04 in a virtual machine,
so I understand better your context.

First, as Speech synthesizer you have only one choice by default
which is espeak-ng. As I already wrote, don't consider dummy and
generic, they are useless in your situation.

About the voices, I have theoretically good bud practically
bad news:

First a correction: in Ubuntu 18.04 the voices for espeak-ng are
in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/espeak-ng-data/voices/
not in /usr/share/espeak-ng-data/voices/ as in Slint.
To know there content type:
ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/espeak-ng-data/voices/mb
ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/espeak-ng-data/voices/\!v/

This being said, I confirm that you do have all settings for
MBROLA and the KLATT variants.

But teh espak-ng binary is not installed bu default so you can't
type the commands I indicated. To install it type:
sudo apt install espeak-ng
Then all these commands work:
espeak-ng --voices
espeak-ng --voices=en
espeak-ng --voices=mb
espeak-ng --voices=mb|grep -w en

Now, theoretically to use one the variants listed in:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/espeak-ng-data/voices/\!v/

you should edit the file:
/usr/share/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak-ng.conf
replacing:
EspeakListVoiceVariants O
by
EspeakListVoiceVariants 1
Unfortunately, and this is an issue I already reported,
this puts so many lines in the combo box "Person" of the
Settings GUI of Orca that it becomes almost unusable,
especially to change the voice in this combo box.

Another possibility would be to use one of the MBROLA voices.
For this also I have also reported an issue, on which I won't
elaborate here.

Let me just say that theoretically you should install
some voices:
sudo apt install mbrola-us1
sudo apt install mbrola-us2
sudo apt install mbrola-us3
sudo apt install mbrola-us4
sudo apt install mbrola-en1

Then in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf include these lines:
DefaultVoiceType "FEMALE1"
DefaultLanguage "en"
AddModule "espeak-ng-mbrola-generic" "sd_generic" "espeak-ng-mbrola-generic.conf"
DefaultModule espeak-ng-mbrola-generic
LanguageDefaultModule "en"

But I am afraid that you would need a fairly recent
speech-dispatcher from git, else you will miss the file
/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak-ng-mbrola-generic.conf

Also, it is rather difficult to debug an issue in Ubuntu
for me as I can't find the log files for speech-dispatcher,
and I don't have the time to learn, not being an Ubuntu
user, sorry.

Didier
--
Didier Spaier