Linux on a chrome book?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 06:59:16 UTC 2018

I have an iMac and a MacBook Air running Mac and of course I am using the
terminal lots, mostly with MacPorts. But I have wanted a standalone linux
machine. I know somebody who has a tablet and no longer wants the Acer
chromebook. I don't yet know all the specs except that it is 15.6 inch and
as I believe 2 usb ports; should find out more shortly. I wondered if it
would be possible to install linux and install it accessibly on this
machine. I have used debian and arch linux in the past and wondered what I
should plan to use. I am more interested in the command line than in the
gui though I won't totally rule out the possibility that I might also
experiment with the gui in linux. When I started using linux, of course,
the gui wasn't really an option.

There is one other thing I am concerned abut. I had thinkpads that ran
linux for years. Both of them died and it appeared to be a fan problem.
That might have been just a natural consequence of their age but I am
concerned about getting an apparently new computer and having this happen.
In my old Debian installs way back in the earlier part of this century, it
seemed as if those settings were automatically set up and compatible with
the running of my computers' fans. Are there any versions of linux that
either still seem to have a good record or, on the other hand, have been
known
to leave so much to the user that a fan problem could quickly result. I
also had this problem with a Mac minias fan though again, the mini had
also previously had a long life with me as a Mac OS computer. I did have
one Mac mini that never had any fan issues running linux.

Any inut as to the usability of a chromebook and the best linux
distribution to use, especially for command line emphasis, would be
appreciated. I would want to mostly use brltty with emphasis on its
braille capabilities but wouldn't mind being able to set up speech also. I
definitely would like to have sound for other purposes than speech if
possible.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth