slint and vlc

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 18:55:15 UTC 2018

Hello,

Le 20/06/2018 à 20:38, Linux for blind general discussion a écrit :
> I have an old version of slint running on the new computer.  What I am
> curious about is if vlc can play any url or local files on the machine
> once downloaded.  So far it doesn't on this older version of slint.

That's weird, vlc should play pretty much any file, local or remote.

The version of Slint shouldn't matter at all.

>From "vlc -h":

<quoted text begins below>
Usage: vlc [options] [stream] ...
You can specify multiple streams on the commandline.
They will be enqueued in the playlist.
The first item specified will be played first.

Options-styles:
  --option  A global option that is set for the duration of the program.
   -option  A single letter version of a global --option.
   :option  An option that only applies to the stream directly before it
            and that overrides previous settings.

Stream MRL syntax:
  [[access][/demux]://]URL[#[title][:chapter][-[title][:chapter]]]
  [:option=value ...]

  Many of the global --options can also be used as MRL specific :options.
  Multiple :option=value pairs can be specified.

URL syntax:
  file:///path/file              Plain media file
  http://host[:port]/file        HTTP URL
  ftp://host[:port]/file         FTP URL
  mms://host[:port]/file         MMS URL
  screen://                      Screen capture
  dvd://[device]                 DVD device
  vcd://[device]                 VCD device
  cdda://[device]                Audio CD device
                                 UDP stream sent by a streaming server
  vlc://pause:<seconds>          Pause the playlist for a certain time
  vlc://quit                     Special item to quit VLC
<end of quoted text>

Doesn't this syntax work for you?

Here (but I don't think that the VLC version matter either):
didier[~]$ LANG=en_US.utf8 vlc --version
VLC media player 2.2.8 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.7-14-g3cc1d8cba9)
VLC version 2.2.8 Weatherwax (2.2.7-14-g3cc1d8cba9)
Compiled by root on stable.slint.net (Jan 18 2018 00:49:03)
Compiler: gcc version 5.3.0 (GCC)
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by the VideoLAN team; see the AUTHORS file.
didier[~]$

Best,

Didier
--