Screen reader advice for a Linux sysadmin

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 15:36:23 UTC 2018

Hi Janina and all,

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 11:21:47AM -0500, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>> 2. You said "After using a Mac for a few weeks at work I was very disappointed.
>> Especialy the VoiceOver support in the terminal is not more then
>> rudimentary compared to the things you can do with a screenreader on a
>> linux system."
>>
>This is my experience precisely with my Mac Airbook.
>
>In fact, while traveling with only the Airbook, I would ssh from a
>VMware Linux session into my Mac to do Mac terminal tasks, because of
>the superior screen reader support.

I also did it that way and installed a VM with Debian in VMware Fusion
to get my tasks, that needed to be done in a terminal, done on my Mac
Book Air.

>As noted above, braille would viciate my statement. I'm speaking of TTS
>only interfacing.

Me too. Because I learned braille when I was 15 years old, tts is much
more important to me than braille. I only use braille when programming
or to format text.

VoiceOver might have a nicer voice then speakup, espeak or other linux
screenreaders, but navigating the screen is much mor difficult. Also VO
very ofthen looses focus, is overloaded with much output of the console,
e.g., and I have not found any settings on my Mac to make those things
better.

Ciao,

  Schoepp

--