Launching a minimal Xsession for a single application and Orca.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Mar 11 04:27:54 UTC 2018

Good Evening,

I'm trying to create a script that will launch the bare minimal to get
a single graphical application running with Orca providing speech.

At present, my script contains the following:

#!/bin/bash
lwm&
orca&
firefox

and running the script produces the following error messages and kicks
me back to the prompt.

lwm: can't open display.
Error: GDK_BACKEND does not match available displays
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

** (orca:24773): ERROR **: AT-SPI: Couldn't connect to accessibility
bus. Is at-spi-bus-launcher running?

I tried googling Error: GDK_BACKEND does not match available displays
thinking that resolving that might fix the rest of the errors, but
every result seemed to be dealing with someone trying to run graphical
applications on a remote system accessed via ssh while I'm trying to
get this to work on my local machine.

If it matters, I'm running a customized install of Knoppix in Adriane
mode and have no monitor, so getting sighted help isn't an option even
if I had access to someone other than myself that knows Linux.

So, anyone know what might be the problem here?

Also, once I get this working, how might I alter the above script to
take the graphical program to run as an command line argument while
defaulting to Firefox if none is specified?

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
Bachelor of Computer Science
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.