slint 2tb limit

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 15:44:37 UTC 2018

Hello,

Diider again,

Le 12/03/2018 à 15:48, Linux for blind general discussion a écrit :
> So far as I can tell, slint appears to have a 2tb hard drive size limit. I tried it with a 3tb drive and hope I haven't permanently trashed the drive.  What happens with slint is you set up a swap partition on the drive and a linux partition and it doesn't matter what you use to do it either.  Once done, you run setup and get the message that slint can't find any partitions on the hard drive.  I have a bad compatibility situation here since technology is 24 years old and back in those years all that was known about was bios, efi and uefi didn't exist then.  Last bios flash update for AMD k8 athelon computers I think was 2006.  So, I'll see if I can rescue the 3tb drive with archlinux then go from there.
With MBR, the maximum disk size is 2 TB. It can work on larger disks, too, but you won’t be able to use anything beyond the first 2 TB. However, this only applies to disks with 512-byte sectors (because, incidentally, 512 byte * 2^32 = 2 TB).UEFI

To complete my previous answer it is a know limitation o DOS (aka MBR) partition table, as quoted below:

With MBR, the maximum disk size is 2 TB. It can work on larger disks, too, but you won’t be able to use anything beyond the first 2 TB. However, this only applies to disks with 512-byte sectors (because, incidentally, 512 byte * 2^32 = 2 TB).

So, I'd try just replacing the DOS partition table by a GUID Partition Table using gdisk (shipped in the installer).

In case you wonder, although GPT be mentioned in the UEFI specification it is as far as I know possible to use a GPT with BIOS. At least that's worth trying.

Bests regards,

Didier