slint 2tb limit

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 23:08:04 UTC 2018

Didier here.

First, the maths:
Actually the numbers on each line of the fdisk output are, from left to right:
partition beginning sector (512 bytes per sector)
partition ending sector
partition size in sectors
partition size in another unit to make it human readable
In this case the unit is a Tib i.e. 1,099,511,627,776 bytes
The computed size in sectors is end-beginning+1, here:
5860531119-4198400+1=5856332720
585633272*512/1099511627776 roughly equals 2.7 so yes, this is correct.

Now about the issue.
In the installer the Linux partition is called by a script that use the output of fdisk -l.
Unfortunately, fdisk fails in case of a DOS (with a MBR) partition table if the partition size is too big, with an error like:
DOS partition table format can not be used on drives for volumes larger than 2199023255040 bytes for 512 bytes sectors. Use GUID partition table format (GPT).
You didn't hear this error messages because the installer doesn't display it, but this indeed prevented to detect /dev/sda3 as a linux partition.

So you need to convert the partition table of this drive to GPT. This can be done using gdisk.

Of course you'll loose all data in it, so make back ups first as need be.

I have checked that fdisk can read partition on a GPT drive, so after that hopefully Slint installation will work.

Greetings,
Didier