Other accessible terminal emulation

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 18:18:18 UTC 2018

Howdy,

> Also, previous messages in this thread would suggest it works just as
> well in a Terminal Emulator as from the terminal itse
yea exactly. Fenrir provides "drivers" to provide different backends
(speech, braille (WIP), input, sound, remote and screen)
currently i implement 2 different screen drivers.
1. vcsaDriver: uses /dev/vcsa[1-x] as information source to provide
information on the screen. this just works for real TTY terminal with an
existing VCSA device
2. ptyDriver: uses pty, fork, and pyte to stand as "man in the middle"
(like yasr did but in a lot more advanced state). so it spawns an
terminal and  captures any input you did and watches to the output of
its child process, processing it and pass it through.
i suggest to use XTERM or another inaccessible terminal emulator to my
users, because they don't conflict with orca at all (input (shortcuts)
and output).

> built-in support for Unicode(arguably of limited use for
fenrir provides Unicode support as well for any language form just the
beginning (on VCSA and PTY).

> No idea why Fenrir is named after the Wolf from Norse mythology,
hehe because i m a rebel ;). Just kidding. the naming was strom_dragons
idea ;).

sadly i m not a good software deployer, so i just provide packages for
ArchLinux (since i use it). I also see some debian packages ( i never
tested or tried them, currenlty).
But fenrir runs also without any installation just from git, (the
dependencies are needed of course).
so if anyone is good in deploying software for different distros with
setup.py or similar, just tell me :).

cheers chrys