apt-get error with espeakup

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Nov 22 13:16:56 UTC 2018

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:

> A copy and paste of your sources.list or the output of apt would be
> useful in trouble shooting your issue. You can follow the apt command
> with > filename or 2> filename to redirect standard output and error
> output to a text file if that helps in getting the output into your
> message(sadly, I don't know how to redirect both simultaneously, ...

command >filename 2>&1

This technique is also very useful when you want to pipe output which has
errors, or you want to read the program help for a program which sends the
help text to standard output (this drives me mad).

command 2>&1 |less

Finallly, if you do want output and errors in separate files, you can
still do it with one command:

command >output_file 2>error_file

HTH,
Geoff.