w3m continues Edbrowse?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 17:45:16 UTC 2018

Regarding navigational hotkeys, to my knowledge, no major graphical
browser has these built-in. However, they are a standard accessibility
feature provided by graphical screen readers such as Orca under
Windows and NVDA and JAWS under Windows. An understandable mistake, as
a web browser being able to quickly jump between specific web elements
would make sense, and I can only assume the feature is implemented by
the screen reader instead of the browser because most sighted users
would just use the mouse to accomplish what Orca/NVDA/JAWS users
utilize navigation hotkeys for, and even keyboard-focused sighted
users are content with being able to scroll the page via arrow keys
and can skip over irrelevant parts of a page effortlessly thanks to
vision's more random access nature compared to hearing's more
sequential access nature.

At the very least, I never even thought about the heading structure of
pages I visited, where certain form elements are in relation to the
content of a page, and was almost never bothered by large, dense
blocks of links at the top or bottom of a page or long lists of links
down the sides back when I had usable vision, and now its second
nature for me to get a feel for a page's heading structure.

And, I'll confess I make frequent use of crtl+F to find text on a web
page in Firefox, but thanks to the navigational hotkeys provided by
Orca, that's usually a last resort rather than my go to, and is
usually a sign a web page is poorly designed if I have to use it for
any reason aside from bookmarking my place in the middle of a long
page.

Anyways, as long as we have someone singing its praises, can someone
direct me to a user's guide for w3m? I tried it out yeasterday, but
couldn't figure out how to load even a known website.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
Bachelor of Computer Science
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.