raspberry pi for screen reader users

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Sep 3 19:45:50 UTC 2018

Which Raspberry Pi do you have? As far as I know, there are still 3
versions being sold: The original Raspberry Pi model B, the Pi2 and the
Pi3, all at the same price. Did you only purchase the computer,or did
you get it in a kit with an SD card, a case and possibly a reader? The
Pi3 is the only model with onboard wifi and bluetooth, but its wifi only
supports the 2.4GHz band. That said, most routers support both 2.4GHz
and 5.0GHz bands, so the onboard wifi should still work. If you did buy
your Raspberry Pi in a kit, the OS on the MicroSD will depend on the kit
you purchased. However, although I believe the kit I have initially had
Ubuntu, I'm not sure what is on other MicroSD cards. It will be better
to rewrite it with a different OS. Instructions are available for
ArchLinuxARM on its website

https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/broadcom/raspberry-pi-2

which also works on the Raspberry Pi 3. The tarball download includes no
screen reader, but you can install packages over ssh fairly easily. You
will probably want the MATE desktop and the Orca screen reader. It runs
a bit slowly on these machines, because they have fairly slow processors
and less RAM than other similar machines, but if you get zramswap from
the AUR, you can add a little swapspace in memory that will speed things
up a little. If you don't want/like the Arch philosophy or the rolling
release model, where there is no set timetable for complete OS releases,
and each package gets upgraded when it is released, I believe there may
be Ubuntu releases that include Orca as well, although I don't have a
link at this time. In all cases, you will want to either use your wired
speakers and mask pulseaudio to keep it disabled, or use your USB
speakers, as Pulseaudio remains badly broken on the Raspberry Pi's own
sound hardware.

Imetumwa kutoka maisha