raspberry pi for screen reader users

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 03:02:22 UTC 2018

I was also told itwould be possible for me to purchase last year's model
and all I would

loose would be some input options as a result of not purchasing
thecurrent model.

Maybe, but since they're the same price, I personally don't see any
advantage in buying the previous model. The Raspberry Pi 3 has a faster
processor, and the 32-bit software runs faster on the 64-bit A53
processor than it does on the 32-bit A7 in the Raspberry Pi 2, even
though they run at nearly the same clock speed. As far as input, I think
the only difference is onboard wifi and bluetooth, which you will need
to plug into USB ports or your hub to use with the Raspberry Pi 2, but
then again, you'll need a plugin wifi adapter if you will only have
access to the 5GHz band.

Another OS option for you is F123Light. I wouldn't call it ready for
prime time just yet, but it is stable enough for testing, and we could
certainly use some more technical users who can test for user
friendliness as well as stability. Grab the latest English image from

https://public.f123.org/F123Light-English-18.08.30.img.xz

verifiable using

https://public.f123.org/F123Light-English-18.08.30.img.xz.sha1sum

First you can verify the integrity of the file using the sha1sum
utility, as long as both the img.xz and the img.xz.sha1sum files are in
the same folder.

sha1sum -c F123Light-English-18.08.30.img.xz.sha1sum

Then if you have Linux on the computer where you downloaded the files
and you can get root permissions via sudo, you can verify the location
of your card reader with an inserted MicroSD card using

lsblk

Then run

xzcat F123Light-English-18.08.30.img.xz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdx bs=2M

replacing the x in sdx with the last letter of the /dev/sdx device where
your card is inserted. Get a cup of coffee or a snack and wait for the
prompt to return. This will give you an OS that will work in the
Raspberry Pi that comes right up talking, complete with a non-technical
menu that covers most functions in a user friendly way. Hope this helps.

~Kyle