audio disk ripping

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Sep 6 15:39:34 UTC 2018

Tim here again.  Following up on my previous response, using "abcde"
from the command-line could hardly be easier.  I edited my
~/.abcde.conf file to contain

 CDDBMETHOD=cddb,musicbrainz
 OUTPUTTYPE=mp3
 MAXPROCS=2
 EJECTCD=y

The CDDBMETHOD checks both "CDDB" and "MusicBrainz" for the track
info.  If the first fails to find the CD, it falls back to the
latter.  It still gives you the opportunity to pull up the
information in your $EDITOR to tweak the information which is nice.

The OUTPUTTYPE says I want MP3 rather than the default OGG.  You can
set it to a comma-separated list of extensions to produce more than
one.  YMMV, but I have some players that know MP3 and not OGG, and
now that MP3 is out of patent restriction, I'm good with MP3 for most
stuff.

The "MAXPROCS" is the number of CPUs in my machine to speed things
up.  It defaults to one, so a multi-core/multi-processor system
should be fine, but you can bump it up to the number of cores/CPUs
you have if you value speed.

Finally, I like the EJECTCD=y to eject the CD when it's done reading
the data off as an audible "I'm about done" making it easy for me to
load my next CD.

There are a *lot* of other options you can configure in that file.
You should be able to

  cp /etc/abcde.conf ~/.abcde.conf

and then modify it if you want to explore any of the other options,
but those worked for me.  I've ripped about half my classical music
selection since yesterday and hope to finish the rest today.

-tim