Switching console in guest operating system.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Sep 9 19:38:56 UTC 2018

I had to do something similar when using a keyboard that didn't have the F1 etc keys.

My solution was to remap the keyboard to use a key combination I did have.

The general solution is like this:
First create a new keymap.
keydump > new.keydump

edit new keymap so your selected key combo switches to an alternate console
example:
Modify the alt-shift-1 key combination to select console 1.

vi new.keydump
Change
	shift	alt	keycode   2 = Meta_exclam
	shift	alt	keycode   2 = Console_1

Then load the modified keymap.

loadkeys new.keydump

So now hitting shift-alt-1 should switch to console 1.

Good luck.

On Sun, Sep 09, 2018 at 07:46:17PM +0200, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Hi!
> I use a macbook air with Vmware fusion.
>
> I have got ubuntu  18.04 up and running but i want to go into console mode.
> THe problem is how i can switch between consoles in the guest system.
> You can not press alt ctrl Fx so that???s not worth trying again.
> I  did a search on google and found that if i  use vmware workstation i should use ctrl alt space and then i have to release space and press any f key.
> This does???nt work either.
> Does anyone here use a mac and vmware with a linux guest?
> Thanks.
> /A

Rudy Vener
Website: http://www.rudyvener.com