Accessible login prompt and i3 wm

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Sep 10 16:40:42 UTC 2018

I save my speakup settings by calling a script /bin/setspeakup
from within rc.local.

This script contains lines such as:

echo 6 > /speakup/soft/freq
echo 7 > /speakup/soft/pitch
echo 2 > /speakup/soft/vol
echo 1 > /speakup/spell_delay
echo 3 > /speakup/soft/rate
echo 122     zee > /speakup/i18n/characters
echo 90     ZEE > /speakup/i18n/characters
chmod 666 /speakup/key_echo

This gives me the slow default speakup voice during the initial part
of the boot process, but changes to my preferred voice near the end.

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 12:02:53PM -0400, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Hello I want to install arch on my laptop. I would like to use a
> window manager rather than a full blown desktop because I'm limited on
> space. I would also like to setup a accessible login prompt. I would
> like to try my hand at i3. I tryed ratpoison and I could never get
> firefox-esr sound to work. Also how do you save speakup settings
> between reboots. It always resets my speech rate when using speakup.

Rudy Vener
Website: http://www.rudyvener.com