Chromevox working in Chrome, but not in Chromium

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 20:09:01 UTC 2018

Hi, Janina,

actually Chromium acts as a client of speech-dispatcher, as does Orca.
Orca uses the Python API, I don't know which one uses Chromevox, but it
works.
EDIT: found it here:
https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/chrome/browser/speech/tts_linux.cc
so it's written in C++ and includes this header:
https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/out/Debug/gen/library_loaders/libspeechd.h
where you find the declaration of part of the functions declared in the
genuine version of libpseechd.h (the one found in the speech-dispatcher
source).

But I digress, sorry.

>From the the settings window of Chromevox you can choose one of the
voices made available by speech-dispatcher.

For this to work, you need to have installed the chromevox extension.
In a multilib environment, as root or using sudo:
cd /usr/lib/chromium/extension
wget http://the-brannons.com/kgejglhpjiefppelpmljglcjbhoiplfn.json

But you also need to have the extension enabled.

Edit either /etc/chromium.d/default-flags or whatever file includes the
flags (in Slint it's /etc/chromium/00-default.conf), appending one line:
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="$CHROMIUM_FLAGS --enable-speech-synthesis --enable-speech-dispatcher"

To know more:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+show/lkcr/docs/accessibility/chromevox.md

Didier
--