Did clean install of Talking Debian, No Internet.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 21:27:33 UTC 2018

Okay, so I recently torrented and burned the amd64 version of Debian
9.5 CD1 and used the talking installer to install it to my backup
machine. The network setup step asked for some firmware files that I
have no idea how to obtain or make accessible to the installer, so I
skip loading the firmware, but setting up my Wi-Fi connection for use
by the installer went through with no error messages, and the install
finished successfully, I rebooted, and I have a working Debian system
that comes up talking, gives me a text log-in and dumps me at the
console upon login.

Apparently, Debian doesn't consider sudo or aptitude basic system
utilities, but I thought, no problem, I'll use su to switch to a root
console and use apt to install them.

Here's where I ran into trouble. Both apt update and apt install can't
connect. Some digging reveals that the installer neither put my
ethernet or wi-fi connections in my /etc/network/interfaces file.
Tried copying over copies of my interfaces and wpa_supplicant.conf
that were working to let the tower in question connect either wired or
wirelessly under the install of Knoppix 8.1 that was on the machine
prior to installing Debian 9.5, but to no avail.

So, any suggestions on how to get my talking debian machine connected
to the internet so I can start installing stuff not installed by the
installer?

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
Bachelor of Computer Science
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.