between google and firefox it's nearly impossible to get anything done!

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 15 11:26:24 UTC 2019

Tim here.  Are you trying to open firefox on the same machine or on a
different machine, and if a different machine, what operating system
is that other machine running?

If it's the same machine, I'd recommend using xsel or xclip (one
might already be installed; otherwise, I prefer xsel over xclip).
You can then use a standard pipeline to extract the line from the
file and put it in the system clipboard.  If the URL is the only
thing in the file, it's pretty easy:

  xsel -ib < url_file.txt

This puts the URL in your system clipboard so you can use control+V
to paste it into the address-bar in Firefox.

If you have multiple URLs in the file, you might want to tag them
with a keyword to help you find them:

  email https://gmail.com
  long http://example.com/long/path/to/page

You can then extract the URLs with awk and pipe to xsel:

  awk '$1 == "long"{print $2}' | xsel -ib

or even wrap it in a shell function in your .bashrc/.bash_profile

  url() {
    awk -vNAME="$1" '$1 == NAME{print $2}' | xsel -ib
  }

which would then let you type

  $ url long

to get that long URL in your clipboard.

If you're trying to get it onto another machine, it would depend
on the OS and what tools you have for connecting to the Linux box.
MacOS has a similar pbcopy/pbpaste command that would let you SSH
into your Linux box, search for the URL there, emitting the result,
and then piping that into pbcopy for local use.  I'm afraid I don't
have recent Windows experience to determine how that would work over
on Windows.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas and saves you a lot of
hand-transcribing of URLs.

-tim