between google and firefox it's nearly impossible to get anything done!

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Apr 15 12:30:43 UTC 2019

(Tim here) The suggestion was for piping it to xsel/clip which puts it
on your system X clipboard for whatever purposes you want (pasting
into firefox or an email or a chat window or whatever).

Reading further in the thread, it sounds like  you only had the one
URL in the file and that Firefox was local on your machine so you
should be able to do as Geoff suggested and expand the file at the
shell-prompt.  Make sure you use either the backticks that Geoff
suggests or the "$(...)" that I suggested.  It executes the commands
inside them (in this case the "cat file.txt") and then replaces them
in the command-line, making it something like

  firefox "http://example.com/really/long/url/goes/here"

If you frequently use this file for exchanging between surf and
firefox, you can even make a function/alias for it

  surff() { firefox "$(cat ~/surf)" ; }

and then type "surff" and it will launch firefox on whatever URL is
in that file.  Alternatively, your window-manager might let you
create a hot-key to spawn that command so you only have to hit a
single button.

-tim