amazon?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Aug 24 02:25:38 UTC 2019

Personally, it would be nice if web designers would stop shoehorning
JavaScript and other rich web stuff into pages where the same thing
could be accomplished with plain, old HTML, would stop setting cookies
when they aren't needed, and would do a sanity check to ensure their
forms work properly with keyboard and tabbing.

That said, a site-side fix to any problem only fixes it for that
specific site, while a browser-side fix could in theory fix it across
many different sites.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much of a happy medium between
lumbering behemoths like Firefox and Chromium that weigh hundreds of
megabytes by the time you add up everything they need to run, and
lightweight html pagers like links, elinks, and lynx that are arguably
only good for accessing web 1.0 content.

I'd love to ditch Firefox and the GUI in general, but for the sake of
my sanity, I don't think I could make the move without at least the
following features in a text web browser:

Enough JavaScript/HTML5 support to display pages that use them to load
content, ideally disabled by default with a easy method of toggling it
on when needed or permanently allowing specified sites.

Navigational hotkeys comparable to those provided when using a
Graphical browser with Orca, NVDA, or JAWS(seriously, some of these
are so handy I wonder how sighted people with mice(including my own
past self) make due without them.

The option to turn multi-column web pages into single column pages or
to stretch the active cell in a table or element in a form to fit the
screen width.

And my dream web browser would probably nearly replicate the
Firefox+Orca user experience minus the occasional sluggishness
introduced by the GUI and Python while having auto-converting all
clickables to something that can be activated with spacebar and/or
enter/return and adds in basic keyboard shortcuts for
temporarily/permanently allowing JavaScript/Cookies in the active
tab/from the site in the active tab(If starting with Firefox-like
keybindings, perhaps ctrl+J to toggle JavaScript and ctrl+K to toggle
cookies adding shift to change the permission permanently).

Sadly, I don't know the first thing about coding a web browser, and
given how long the well known text browsers have been lagging in
regards to the most essential aspects of the modern web, I can only
hope their developers have their reasons for keeping their browsers in
the past and aren't just too lazy/don't know how to modernize their
projects.