amazon?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Aug 26 00:13:05 UTC 2019

Admittedly, I have no clue why the Amazon log-in page would show up as
being 15 pages long in any of the text browsers... nor do I have any
idea why you're being hit with captcha.

I window shop on Amazon pretty much daily, place at least one order a
month from them, yet I can count on one hand the number of times I've
run into the monstrosity known as Captcha dealing with their website.

As an experiment, I just cleared all my Amazon-related cookies and
tried logging in again.
1. I opened Amazon from my bookmarks.
2. It used ctrl+F and typed in Welcome to find the link to the
simplified home page.
3. The resulting page had little more than a link to the sign-in page
and the top navigation.
4. I followed the sign in link, my e-mail address and password were
prefilled with focus on the text box Orca identifies as e-mail or
mobile phone number.
5. I tabbed a couple times to the submit button, no captcha, log-in
succeeded on the first attempt.
6. Got that in-between view when I went to my cart, but a browser
restart later and it was like I never cleared my cookies.

Maybe I just got lucky, and maybe there are accessibility issues I
missed because Orca isn't limited to what's litterally on the screen,
and why you keep getting hit with captcha when I didn't is certainly a
good question. I've never tried accessing Amazon from a text browser,
but I have come across other sites that work really well with Firefox
and Orca that don't work so well with the text mode browsers I've
tried, and I can't entirely rule out that it's just because I've been
using Firefox longer.

Granted, I could totally get behind a legal ban on Captcha, though
perhaps the question here isn't how to get around captcha but how to
prevent Amazon from hitting you with captcha.