Strange behavior on fresh Debian installation

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 16:11:15 UTC 2019

I have seen stuff like that also.  When you first boot and
everything works, echo $PATH as others have already advised and
save that to somefile as in echo $PATH >somefile.

	Then when things go to pot, echo $PATH >someotherfile.

	Also, do the following:

pwd >mydir.  In this case, the file mydir will contain your
absolute path.  Then things go bust.  Try pwd again and see what
happens.  You might have something going that does a chroot which
is a great command but very powerful.  If it occurs for the wrong
reasons, you may have been put in to an environment that can't
reach all your normal executables.

	You still will have to figure out what caused this and
how to fix it, but that's what makes unix good.  You have grownup
power tools to fix things with.  Just as a table saw will cut off
fingers as easily as it cuts wood, it's been said that unix can
give you some of the prettiest rope you ever hanged yourself with
so go cautiously.

	At least your boot starts out working so whatever happens
isn't a permanent change.

Martin McCormick
Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list at redhat.com> writes:
your execution path and causes everything to stop working.

	If you run something that uses a command like chroot, you
can get pure weirdness because chroot makes it impossible to
search outside your current directory