bash undocumented syntax error

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Jan 13 18:44:14 UTC 2019

Yeah, an error of this type is hard enough to debug when you have
access to the buggy code. Debugging from the error message alone is
nearly impossible in cases like this.

I will mention, however, that bash, and many other shells/scripting
languages, aren't picky about single quotes versus double quotes in
general, but can be quite picky that they're used consistently. E.g.
if you start a string literal with single quotes, you'd better end it
with single quotes, and if you start it with double quotes, you'd
better end it with double quotes, but bash probably doesn't care which
you use as long as the beginning and ending delimiters are the same.

Probably about the best advice I can give without examining the code directly.

-Jeff