Orca does not speak

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 09:39:03 UTC 2019

Hello Janina,

technically your screen reader is a process in RAM, communicating
with other processes, like at-spi and speech-dispatcher.

Typing "orca -r", you kill this process (i.e., you remove it from
the RAM), and you replace it with a new one.

Here is an example.

In the a terminal I type this command:

didier[~]$ ps -C orca
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
26823 tty1     00:00:34 orca

In the output, PID is the process identifier.

Then, I press Alt+F2 and type orca -r

After that:
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
  394 tty1     00:00:00 orca
didier[~]$

So the previous process disappeared and we have a new one.

So technically, it is indeed a replacement, not a restart:
I replaced a screen reader by a new one.

Best,

Didier