Orca does not speak

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 13:27:03 UTC 2019

Maybe there's some subtle distinction I'm not catching, but saying it
kills the running process and replaces it with a new one sounds like a
convoluted way of saying it restarts the process, and I think most who
aren't trying to justify the wording of the switch would say it
restarts the program. Actually, if I remember correctly, the original
answer to what the --replace switch does was "it restarts orca" or
something to that effect, and the more detailed answer only came up
when someone pointed out the odd wording.

--replace might be technically correct, but it still strikes me as
using a word in an unusual context most won't understand without
explanation when a different word would get the meaning across without
explanation. Kind of reminds me of how Americans sometimes have
trouble understanding Brits because of common words that vary greatly
in their common definition on opposite sides of the pond(and for all I
know, replace might be commonly understood in this context in some
part of the anglosphere other than my own).

I understand the explanation for why the switch is --replace, but I'd
probably still call it --restart if I was going to include such
functionality in a program I wrote myself.

On a more humorous note, without the context that orca -r restarts
orca, I'd probably be wondering what a screen reader could possibly
reverse or recurse since those are the most common things a -r or -R
switch do.

--Jeff