Merge of packages repository from Slint

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Jul 21 14:30:27 UTC 2019

Hello,

I am CCing this message to the Vinux and  blinux mailing list because
noi all Slint users are registered to the slint mailing list. I hope
that will not be considered as spam.

Currently there are two different Slint packages repositories for
versions 14.2.1 and 14.2.1.2 (64-bit).

However every user running a previous 64 bit version can upgrade to
14.2.1.2 without issue, so I will soon cease to maintain the packages
for 14.2.1, that will be replaced by packages provided for 14.2.1.2.

Then we will end up with only one package repository, whose URL will be:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/slint/

The package previously stored in this repository will be tentatively
stored in another one, just in case, but will not be further updated.

Users already running slint64-14.2.1.2 will need to change this line in
/etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc:
SOURCE=http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/:PREFERRED
so it becomes:
SOURCE=http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/:PREFERRED

I will provide a new slapt-get package including a modified slapt-getrc
with the new line, so running dotnew after this update will allow you to
just accept this replacement, then case occurring edit slapt-getrc to
include customization you made in the previous one. The old one will
have been renamed /etc/slapt-get/slaptr-getrc.orig if replaced.

To insure a smooth transition, this URL:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/
will become a link to:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/
during a few days after having provided the new slapt-get package.

Users having not yet upgraded to Slint64-14.2.1.2 (if any) can either:
1) Upgrade right now, following instructions provided here:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/README.upgrade
2) Or choose to wait that the new slapt-get package be available. But
then follow carefully the instructions given in this document (but step
2), or expect issues, possibly leading to a system unable to boot. Of
course it that happens we'll try to help <smile>

These changes will occur very soon, I will announce only on the Slint
mailing list when done.

I anything is unclear (and not only because English is not my native
language) please post your questions preferably in the Slint mailing
list (registration mandatory).

Have a good day,

Didier
--