Audio Recording

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Jun 9 07:30:54 UTC 2019

> What are we using for audio recording on linux these days. In the gui. Is audacity still the best one from an a11y standpoint? How about CLI?
> I'm interested in recording from line-in so I can archive some of my tapes.

Hi,

>From the command line, probably sox, ecasound or arecord. For
example, ecasound -i:alsa,default -f:16,2,48000 -o:tape1.wav

This records from the default ALSA soundcard, in stereo 16
bit depth at 48kHz to file tape1.wav. I think there is a
parameter for duration if you know in advance, and you can
also just stop the engine with Ctrl-C.

For multitrack recording in a terminal, I can offer a
shameless plug for Nama, based on Ecasound. Nama does most
of what you would want for recording, mixing and mastering
in a text environment.

A prolific user of this program has posted many of her compositions here:
http://juliencoder.de/nama/

Here is some information about project:
http://freeshell.de/~bolangi/cgi1/nama.cgi/00home.html
https://metacpan.org/release/Audio-Nama