Chromium voices

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 23:02:04 UTC 2019

Hello

I can answer only for Chromium itself, as I do not know other browsers based on it.

I know only the voices we will ship in Slackware64-14.2.1.2 (release candidate ISO to be uploaded within two hours).
Al of these sound more natural than the espeak-ng ones, to my ears:
mbrola (using the espeak-ng-mbrola-generic module of speech-dispatcher)
flite
pico
RHVoice

In addition, following voices can be bought and will work with Slint:
voxygen (baratinoo) sold by hypra.fr
voxin sold by Oralux (Gilles Casse will soon provide the Voxin installer version 2)

All these voices work with speech-dispatcher 0.9.O (the most recent released version), then if installed with Chromevox in Chromium.

As ab side Joanmarie Diggs a.k.a. Joanie is working at making Orca compatible with Chromium, she will announce when a version is available for testing.

There are other TTS that are supposed to work with speech-dispatcher, but on which I have no information like Kali.

I have also had discussion with people from ReadSpeaker.com but ther is sole technical work to do and they still have top decide if they will sell voices to individuals.

HTH,

Didier