Can I Change the New Mail Control Beep?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 02:44:29 UTC 2019

Tim here.  Are you running within a terminal in X or are you running
straight in a console without X?

If you're running within X, you can use

  $ xset $VOLUME $PITCH $DURATION

so I have mine set to do

  $ xset b 50 400 100

for 50% volume of a 400Hz tone for 100ms.

If you're running in the pure console, you can try setterm:

  $ setterm --bfreq 75 --blength 25

gives a nice low buzz that doesn't wake my kids.

-tim