Speech-dispatcher and separate settings

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Mar 23 12:03:05 UTC 2019

Okay this is something I've been wondering, since by default
speech-dispatcher is insanely loud. So....here's what I'm aiming for.

1. Adjust the speech volume on the login screen via Lightdm to be
comparable to Orca's minimum volume

2. Do the same for Chromium when it's using speech-dispatcher, as again
it's louder than everything else, which makes VOIP calls hard to understand

Now. I've tried adjusting the default volume in speechd.conf and it
hasn't quite done what I'm expecting. Is there an easy way to do this. I
did spy espeak in the sound settings under applications, though I'm
unsure if that's for speech-d or Orca's own espeak or ChromeVox via
speech-dispatcher.