current chromium version a dumpster fire!

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Sep 22 23:27:34 UTC 2019

Try removing ~/.config/chromium. That worked for me. Now I run

chromium --enable-speech-dispatcher google.com

and it works perfectly. It speaks using Alan on my system, but that's
because he is the first available voice. Yours will likely try to speak
English with the Afrikaans voice, since that would be the first voice
available on a system with Espeak installed. The thing is I also heard
no speech with Chromium 77, either with or without
--enable-speech-dispatcher, until I removed ~/.config/chromium. Once I
did that, I ran it again with the --enable-speech-dispatcher option and
it heard speech that has persisted since the website was open. I hear
all expected speech now, whether I press the tab key to focus the next
element or I hit alt+shift+arrows to navigate the page. Hope this helps.

Imetumwa kutoka ukuta wangu