Newbee Linux user introduction

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Apr 3 07:27:33 UTC 2020

Welcome to blinux, Simon. GGood to see you on this list and hope it
provides you the support you're seeking.

As the person responding to you noted, you made some smart decisions,
even if by chance! <smile>

Let me provide a bit more perspective. The iso image you used is
oriented around providing an accessible graphical desktop. That's not a
bad thing.

But it's different from what you'll get with the Arch installers,
including the newer tarch. Those give you a minimal accessible console
environment suitable for Speakup and/or Fenrir and for brltty on the
console. You're on your own to build that into Gnome with Mate and a
functioning Orca.

Can you backfill for console accessibility? Probably, but were this my
problem, I think I'd reinstall to start with those tools working, not
try to back fill. Having given it all of 15 minutes consideration I
suspect that's the easier path. Were I tasked to back fill, I'd probably
want to do it over ssh, though. Did your image set you up with the ssh-server? I
rather suspect not.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Best,

Janina