unpacking git files

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 22:07:50 UTC 2020

Tim here.

I'm not sure what sort of "git file" you have.  If it's a "bundle",
you can pull from it as if it was an upstream project:

  git clone your_repo.bundle repo

to create a local directory called "repo" and clone that bundle into
it.

If it's just a pack file from inside the .git/ folder from another
repo, there's no telling what may or may not be in there (okay, one
can spelunk in there, but you lose a lot of the metadata that is
elswhere in the folder such as branch-heads/names, and any commits
that weren't part of the pack-file)

-tim