Accessible Distros for a beginner?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Aug 20 17:01:45 UTC 2020

Hello,

I am Didier Spaier, Linux maintainer, so maybe my answer will be a little biaised <smile>
.
Indeed Slint is accessible to the blind, from installation to usage and administration, including software management, and ship all the software of the kinds you mentioned.

For a compete beginner in Linux the installer may be a little frightening, but if you can get help the first time that should be OK.

Also, I am right now adding to the installer a "guided" mode that will be easier to use for newcomers in Linux land. Hopefully it will be ready in some weeks.

We have a friendly mailing list, to register read:

Our webiste:  https://slint.fr
General documentation: https://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/
Generic instructions for installation: https://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/README.installation
(this will be simpler with the new installer, which will partition the disk if you want)
Accessibilty How-to: https://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/Accessibility/Accessibility

Best regards,
Didier Spaier
didier at slint.fr