Accessible Distros for a beginner?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Aug 20 19:13:38 UTC 2020

Ouch!

Adriane? man I tried that some time back. It's a bit too oversimplified. The OP is running Windows now, not DOS. Yes, a menu can be a good thing, but it's an unnecessarily involved task to get to a desktop environment, since the OP already knows how to use a graphical desktop. Also, if I remember correctly, the desktop environment that does come up from Adriane is either LXDE or XFCE, neither of which are fully accessible to Orca. MATE and GNOME are the best desktop environments for use with Orca, and MATE is probably the best of these now. I think the best solution is one that starts right off with one of these environments, and either starts Orca right away or allows the alt+super+s shortcut to be used to start it. This is one reason why many people do recommend Ubuntu. It does start with GNOME these days instead of that Unity thing they used to have, and Orca can be started very easily by means of the above shortcut key.